Attorney Lisa Prince is a partner at the Santa Rosa, California law firm of Walter & Prince. She began her law career as a civil litigator. After meeting Fred Walter through a mutual colleague, she found she enjoyed, and was really good at, OSHA defense work. Since that time, over fifteen years ago, she has practiced exclusively in the areas of OSHA, crisis management, and "serious and willful misconduct" defense.
Lisa makes use of the advocacy skills she honed as a civil litigator in representing the firm's clients. She is respected by clients and colleagues for her strong communication skills, and appreciated for her ability to put people at ease and defuse tense situations. Lisa helps clients understand the strengths and challenges of their legal positions and works with them to achieve the most favorable possible outcome.
Lisa understands that litigation can be scary, so she does her best, not just to get a good outcome for her clients, but to make the whole legal process less stressful for them. She loves getting to know her clients and the work they are involved in. In addition to her defense work, she helps employers, safety directors, risk managers, and human resource administrators to proactively reduce risk and develop preventive safety programs that comply with regulatory mandates.
Lisa is also a sought-after speaker on a broad spectrum of workplace safety topics and regulatory updates, as well as Cal/OSHA investigations and the Cal/OSHA appeals process. She addresses groups in a wide range of industries, including the State Compensation Insurance Fund, the American Society of Safety Professionals, HR Connections, AgSafe, the Sonoma County Employer Advisory Council, the National Safety Management Society and Associated General Contractors (AGC). She presents an annual update on the law for a number of safety groups, and almost never slips quotes from 1980s sitcoms into her presentations just to check if people are listening.
Together with her legal partner, Fred Walter, Lisa authors the "Workplace Safety" chapter of Advising California Employers and Employees, a publication of the California State Bar.
Lisa lives with her wonderful husband, amazing daughter, and Mila the Magnificent. (Mila is a mutt but finds the term pejorative; she prefers to be called a "Canine-American Hybrid.") In her spare time, Lisa strives for a perfect garden and a perfect manicure. She has achieved neither.
- Administrative Law
- Cal/OSHA Citation Defense
- Cal/OSHA Appeals
- Empire College School of Law, J.D., cum laude
- Somoma State University, B.A., cum laude
- American Bar Association
- Associated General Contractors of California, Safety & Health Council Steering Committee
- American Society of Safety Professionals, Grapevine Chapter
- Sonoma County Bar Association
- State Bar of California
Honors and Publications
- Co-author with partner Fred Walter of the “Workplace Safety” chapter of the California State Bar publication Advising California Employers and Employees.
- “When is a Roof Just a Roof?” AGC of California, California Constructor, (May/June 2016)
- Co-recipient (with partner Fred Walter), Vickie Schlechter Associate of the Year Award, AGC (2008)