Attorney Fred Walter is the managing partner of Walter & Prince, located in Santa Rosa, California. The firm concentrates its practice in OSHA, crisis management, and "serious and willful misconduct" defense, and has a varied clientele that includes technology start-ups, manufacturing companies, construction companies, farm labor contractors, food processors, wineries, vineyards and olive orchards, as well as public entities.
Fred's career in Cal/OSHA defense began over 30 years ago, near the beginning of his career. Tired of putting his heart into legal work that didn't seem to make a difference for people, he met a Cal/OSHA attorney and began accepting Cal/OSHA defense cases. Working directly with employers to whom the outcome of a case really matters re-energized him, and he hasn't looked back since.
In his over three decades of practice, Fred has acquired a wealth of knowledge of Cal/OSHA regulations and enforcement. As valuable as that knowledge is to his clients, it's Fred's demeanor and approach that really adds value for them. Clients have said that when all hell has broken loose and Fred shows up, he brings a calming influence to the proceedings. Fred acknowledges that while many attorneys have a combative style, his approach is to seek consensus instead of confrontation. He is not afraid to advocate for clients, but he always does so in a way that's calculated to achieve their goals and protect their resources.
Fred loves the work he does and cares about the people for whom he does it. Speaking to him, it is obvious how deeply engaged he is in his work, and how committed he is to his clients. In addition to his defense work, Fred is also a sought-after speaker on safety and health issues, and writes for the firm's blog.
When not practicing law, Fred enjoys golf and sailing. He once sailed in a Pacific Cup race from San Francisco to Oahu. An alumnus of San Jose State University (go Spartans!), Fred is the only person he knows to have been beaten up by the Stanford marching band; not only did he survive the assault, he proudly notes that the ruckus caused the band to break formation.
- Administrative Law
- Cal/OSHA Citation Defense
- Lincoln University School of Law, J.D.
- San Jose State University, San Jose, CA
- All federal courts in California and the U.S. Supreme Court
- American Bar Association, Member, OSHA Committee
- Associated General Contractors of California, Associate Member, Legal Affairs Council
- American Society of Safety Engineers. Member, San Francisco and Grapevine Chapters
- California Chamber of Commerce, Member, Employers' Advisory Council
- North Coast Builders Exchange, Associate Member, Legislative Liaison CommitteeAssociate
- Sonoma County Bar Association
- State Bar of California
Honors and Publications
- AV Rated by Martindale Hubbell, highest rating for competence and ethical practice
- Co-author with partner Lisa Prince of the “Workplace Safety” chapter of the California State Bar publication Advising California Employers and Employees.
- Co-recipient (with partner Lisa Prince), Vickie Schlechter Associate of the Year Award, AGC (2008)